Healthy vegetarian recipe using honey glazed halloumi
Many of us are looking to lift the lockdown weight and where better to start than finding healthy yet tasty recipes! We love finding healthier alternatives whilst mixing our delicious Yorkshire Dama Cheese with a range of vegetables.
Many people believe that carbs are bad for us, however, that is not entirely true. Choosing the right type of carbohydrates will allow you to maintain healthy fibre levels in your diet. Different types of carbs can be divided into three different categories; sugary, fibrous and starchy.
Sugary carbs are typically the ones we aim to avoid. The most common ones being chocolate and biscuits and unhealthy breakfast cereals with higher sugar contents.
Carbohydrates that are full of starch are usually plant derived. By eating potatoes, rice, pasta and bread we can easily feel full due to their heavy consistency, however they are a great source of energy.
Fibrous carbohydrates are the healthiest form of carbs. Wholegrain versions of bread, rice, pasta as well as vegetables, fruit and pulses should be key ingredients within a healthy balanced diet. They have been recognised as foods which can lower the risks of cancers, heart disease and diabetes, for this reason they are the main component of this recipe!
In recent years, halloumi has become popular within street food dishes. Often these halloumi recipes included deep fried squeaky cheese sticks or halloumi burgers.
At Yorkshire Dama we believe the simple and stripped back recipes can still be as exciting and definitely more nutritious!
Furthermore, our Yorkshire Squeaky Cheese is a versatile product because of the dense texture making it perfect for vegetarian meals as a meat alternative.
Try our whole grain squeaky salad for a wholesome lunchtime favourite!
300g wild rice or quinoa
Zest of 1 lemon
1 punnet of cherry tomatoes
½ cucumber diced
1 tbsp honey
Pinch of paprika
Pinch of cumin
A dash of extra virgin olive oil
- Place the rice in a pan and cover with the water. Cover and leave to simmer on a medium-low heat for 20 minutes until fluffy
- In a separate bowl, combine the oil, honey and spices
- Cut the squeaky cheese into slices and grill in a pan for 2-3 minutes on each side
- Brush the cheese with the glaze mixture whilst in the pan
- Next, mix in the vegetables, lemon zest and parsley into the rice and place onto the place
- Top with the glazed squeaky cheese
- Garnish pomegranate or pumpkin seeds for an extra crunch!